Monday, September 04, 2006

 
Saturday 2 September
St Pauls clock woke me at 6am with 6 chimes - still haven't worked out if the bells don't toll after 10pm and before 6am - I either sleep heavy or they don't chime...

Hit the road Jack...didn't waste any time, showered had a good breakfast - kept some cheese, muffin and an apple for lunch, and headed out for adventure...

I'm staying in a YHA that used to the the choir school of St Pauls. Very clean and lovely old building - it is 8 flights of stairs to my floor and dorm - 10 if I go down to the basement first to wash or store anything - I'll get strong calf muscles!!

London has been having great weather and it has held for me - I walked from the tube to the hostel at midnight on my arrival in just t-shirt and slacks. Saturday was overcast and cool but my new red jacket was just right. I joined a 'London Walk' - have done before and they are great - of Shakespeare's London - saw all sorts of old London from the late 1500's to mid 1600's. The farmers markets under Southwark Bridge could be medieval - fantastic fresh produce and food stalls - a huge Rusty's under the arches of the Bridge. Saw all the sites like Westminster, Big Ben, London Eye, had a boat trip down the river, London Boys School, the bridges - even relearned the London Bridge vs Tower Bridge. Ended up at the Globe Theatre and in and around it. Fantastic guide brought this time back to life. After the tour got lost around the city - found an internet cafe, etc.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?